Submit your first payroll
Follow our guide below on how to get started with your payroll in Onfolk 💥
ps. We're always here to help if you want to check things with us for your first payroll. Just reach out to email@example.com 👍
Check your payroll timelines
1. We recommend you run your payroll a few days before your planned pay date. The main reason for this is to ensure your team gets their payslips on payday - check our article on payroll and payslips timelines.
2. Once you're ready to kick off your first payroll, head to the "Payroll" tab in your Onfolk portal:
3. Click on the payroll cycle for this month, which should have an "Open" status.
Finalise onboarding for all new joiners
2. You can see directly within your "Payroll" tab the number of new joiners, leavers and new joiners still onboarding:
- If you're onboarding a new joiner the same month as their start date, finalise their onboarding before you submit payroll for the month. Non-finalised accounts will block you from submitting payroll.
- If you've already submitted payroll for the month and need to add a new joiner who is starting this month, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Same goes if you need to add a new joiner whose start date is last month - get in touch with us.
Run payroll numbers
Now that all new joiners have been onboarded, you're ready to run your payroll:
1. Your payroll cycle page will automatically display all numbers calculated for the month. These numbers are based on the information Onfolk already holds on the employee (salary, working hours, NI number, etc) 👇
- Gross payment: this is what each employee's salary + other additions (bonuses, overtime, etc) come to before tax.
- Deductions: this amount corresponds to taxes and other deductions that will be subtracted from each employee’s gross payment this month.
- Net payment: this is the amount each employee will be paid as their salary on payday (gross payment - deductions).
- ⬇️ or ⬆️ % (next to each gross payment, deduction or net payment): Onfolk will indicate any variations in these 3 amounts for each employee, every month.
2. Check payroll numbers for each employee. You can do this by expanding every employee line by clicking on the arrow on the right-hand side of the screen:
This section details all payments and deductions for each employee as well as any variation to them in comparison to previous months.
3. Add one-off payments or deductions due this month.
Some elements won't be editable, such as National Insurance Contributions and Income tax as those are based on the employee's taxcode. If you spot an employee's taxcode is inaccurate, follow the instructions in this article.
- Pay overtime hours
- Add a bonus
- Add a net deduction or addition
- Add a cyclescheme deduction for an employee
- Manually add or remove a student loan deduction
💡 Onfolk will automatically update payroll numbers after you’ve made any additions or deductions to your employee’s pay.
4. Once you're happy with your numbers, you can send draft payslips to your team by clicking on "Send Draft Payslips" on the top right of your screen.
This action is helpful if you want your employees to review their pay ahead of payday and flag anything that may not look right.
⚠️ This action will send payslips to every employee in your team.
4️⃣ Submit your payroll for the month
After you've reviewed all numbers, click on "Confirm and submit".
⚠️ This action will lock your payroll for the rest of the month - you won't be able to edit it past this point!
5️⃣ Schedule your payments
Once you submit payroll, you will see the final amounts that need to be paid in salaries to employees, pension contributions and your PAYE bill to HMRC.
💡 Clicking on each section (Salaries/PAYE bill/Pension contributions) will give you the detail of each amount.
1. Pay salaries
You can download a payments file from Onfolk and schedule bulk payments within your bank account from it. To do this, click on "Download payments file" in the "Salaries" section, as shown below:
A pop-up will appear, giving you multiple formats you can download your payments file as. Select the payments file that matches your bank's requirements, then click on "Download":
You can now head to your online banking account and schedule bulk payments for your employees.
💡 Onfolk has an integration with Wise - you can easily pay your employees and your PAYE bill within Onfolk once connected.
2. Pay your PAYE bill
Unless you've set up direct debits with HMRC directly, you'll need to pay your PAYE bill once you've ran your payroll for the month:
- Head to Gov.uk and log into your HMRC online account
- Copy the amount due for your PAYE bill
3. Use your Accounts Office Reference and set up the payment for the amount quoted above
3. Pay pension contributions
And finally, your pension contributions.
If you've connected your pension with Onfolk and have set up a direct debit, you don't have to do anything - deductions will be made automatically every month. The payment will be taken within 5 days of payday.
If your pension is not connected with Onfolk or you have not set up a direct debit, you'll need to organise payments separately in your pension provider's portal.